Sunday, March 2, 2014

Giving Thanks and the Perfect "Tipsy" Desserts!

This past year Jason and I were supposed to host Thanksgiving and had all our family on board. Until we remembered that we had a 3 bedroom house with two of those already occupied. So we had to pump our breaks and beg and plead that IF we went back to La for Thanksgiving this year that everyone would promise to come to us next year in hopefully a larger home. After making a phone call to all involved and getting their promise practically in a contract I gave over my hostessing dreams.
But time home in Louisiana is always fun and always busy. We love being with our families. We started our trip with seeing one of my favorite aunts (one of Momou's daughters) and cousins.
This was Collins first Thanksgiving and she loved it...the dressing, the turkey, the desserts....such a Mayeux girl;) And it was a good thing that she loved Thanksgiving because we had TWO in one day.

 We had Thanksgiving lunch with Jason's family and Thanksgiving dinner with mine and we certainly didn't complain.



And Jason and I started a new tradition of the "Turkey Trot" and went running that morning before we consumed enough food for a small country. We may have been the only participants in our Turkey Trot but we plan to expand next year when we are in Houston. Any takers? We promise food, folks and fun!



We finished off our trip seeing the infamous and wonderful Momou who was so glad to see us and us to see her.

And even a trip to see some of our very best friends who recently made the move from Tennessee to Louisiana...how amazing is that?!?
Only God could orchestrate something like that...

My mom requested one thing from me and one thing only. My Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie. Oh sweet Maria. It is heavenly and who doesn't need a little extra liquor around the holidays? And my mother in law told me that I could make a dessert for her house but she was in charge of the pumpkin pie. Woo hoo! That meant I got to make a chocolate recipe. And that I did...my Mocha Kahlua Cake. Now both of these were recipes submitted by others to Southern Living many moons ago. (I have been subscribing since my sophomore year in college...seriously.) So I actually have the names to thank and I take zero credit but I have made them many times and are at the top of my favorites list.
Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie

1/2  (15 oz) package refrigerated pie crusts
1 1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 cup (6oz) semisweet chocolate morsels
1 cup dark corn syrup
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup bourbon or water
4 large eggs
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 teaspoons cornmeal
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt

Fit piecrust into a 9 inch deep dish pie plate according to package directions; fold edges under, and crimp.
 Sprinkle pecans and chocolate evenly onto bottom of piecrust; set aside.
Combine corn syrup and next 3 ingredients in a large saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes. Remove from heat. 
Whisk together eggs and next 4 ingredients. Gradually whisk about one fourth hot mixture into egg mixture; add to streaming hot mixture, whisking constantly. Pour filling into prepared piecrust. 
Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour (keep an eye on it!!) or until set; cool on wire rack. 

       
Mocha Cake
2 cups sour cream
2 large eggs
1 pkg chocolate cake mix
1/2 cup coffee liqueur 
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 (12 oz) pkg semisweet chocolate morsels
1/2 cup cinnamon chips
powdered sugar
Garnish:
whipped cream
1/4 cup powdered sugar

Stir together first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; blend well. Stir in morsels and cinnamon chips. Pour batter into a greased and floured 10 inch Bundt pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for 50 to 55 or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 to 15 minutes; remove from pan, and cool completely on wire rack. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. 



Pin It Now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment