Saturday, January 25, 2014

My Turn for a Birthday and Honeybun Cake

We just love teacher birthdays around Kindergarten. It gives us a reason to order in lunch and celebrate with sweets. I am not sure why it is, but teachers get so stinking tickled over the smallest things. Maybe it is because we teach kids and are around innocence all day. Maybe it is because we like a break in the routine.  Maybe it is all of the above. But we do! Like "jeans day"? OMG...Christmas come early! A hot chocolate bar in the teachers lounge? PARTY! So a birthday with food ordered in and a dessert? CELEBRATION! Some not in this profession may think we are silly to get so excited over these things but you know what? It is a blessing to be thankful and excited over such small things. At least I think so in this culture of "big and grand".

So on our Kindergarten team, we choose names at the beginning of the year and we are responsible for taking charge of the celebration for whomever is our birthday buddy. I chose our sweet Kirsten who is new to our team this year. This girl is beautiful, inside and out. And I get to teach next door to her. Her sweet heart, smile and realness are a blessing to my life. And she always cares and has concern for everyone. We are so lucky to have her and I love that I got to head up her celebration!
Bless her little heart...she wore a birthday crown just to make me happy.
We changed up her birthday lunch and I treated her to a birthday dinner when our team went out after Open House. Get us teachers together outside of school to share stories over drinks and food is a GOOD TIME. Seriously, the laughs over our stories are too much. We are "that" "hen party" of women cackling at a restaurant totally oblivious to everyone else. Some of us have even been known to "drop it like its hot" right there at the dinner table. I am not naming any names. 
My Wonderful Team
 And while I was treating Kirsten to a birthday dinner, my wonderful husband was baking this cake. Yes, he is that good to me. And he did have the cutest little helper. 
The following day, we celebrated with Honeybun Cake. And it was delicious. Just like a honeybun. OMG...delicious. We had quite a lot of cake left over after we got our 6 little pieces so we left it in the lounge. And by the end of the day? It was all gone. Teachers just love a little pick "me up sweet".
Honeybun Cake
 Cake
1 (2 layer) yellow cake mix
1 cup sour cream
2/3 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
1 cup paced brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
Combine the cake mix, sour cream, oil and eggs in a mixing bowl and beat until blended. Spread one-half of the batter in a 9x13inch cake pan. Sprinkle with a mixture o the brown sugar and cinnamon and spread with the remaining batter. Swirl with a knife and bake at 325 degrees for 40 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack.

Icing
3 cups powered sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Mix the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla in a bowl until the desired consistency. Spread the icing over the top of the cake. Let stand until set.
*Adapted from a favorite cookbook, Mardi Gras to Mistletoe*

*Momou, I am always cooking in honor of you!






Pin It Now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment