Friday, August 9, 2013

Sisters Weekend in Houma: S'mores Brownies and Jalapeno Corn Casserole

    Sisters...nothing sweeter than that word. Seriously, they are your best friends, honest feedback givers (wanted and unwanted) and trusted confidants. And well, you can fight like no one else but who cares because you forget about it a week later. I have been blessed with 3 sisters. And they are a huge blessing in my life. If you have a sister, you know what I am talking about. And if you don't, I pray you have a best friend who is like a sister and that can work too:) And I have all of the above. I don't deserve it.  Real sisters and best friends like a sister. I have been blessed with close relationships with some amazing girls from Louisiana to Tennessee and now to Texas. Thank you, Jesus.

   When my sisters and I can't be together, we send tons of text messages and we talk on the phone as much as possible. Thank God for technology that we can be together without having to be in each other's physical presence. But when we DO get together, we act nothing short of crazy. We laugh, we cry, we confess and we give advice. We can solve the world's problems in 10 minutes flat. Our husbands think we are nuts, our kids think we are funny and the babies just watch us in wonder. That is what makes a sisterhood, whether blood related or not...you can just be yourself and then they take their masks off too. I LOVE it when sisters(or BFFs) get real.

   Jen, Claire, myself and all the hubbies, kids and babies recently gathered in Houma, where the baby sis, Claire lives. Her and her hubby, JP, just built a beautiful new home and well, we love to bring our families and we somehow manage to dirty up their "perfect, no kids home" within 20 minutes of arriving:)





    Claire is the hostess with the mostess and had a fabulous weekend planned. It consisted of a delicious dinner on Friday night, men fishing on Saturday while the ladies shopped and then we all had a little lunch all together. I know our waitress must have thought we were the circus coming to town. We are loud, babies crying, girls laughing, men drinking and kids playing. Bless her heart.

   On Saturday night, Claire's hubby, JP, cooked the most amazing fried fish you have ever tasted. I wish that is the recipe I had to share but he is all secret about it. But I did have a few things to offer to the menu and I had the cutest help ever, named Cate. 

    She is my niece and she has the biggest heart and loves to help me cook, help me with Collins or whatever. I pray CC has a heart like this precious girl. And can I tell you how much Cate LOVESSSS Collins. I can already tell they will be BFF. Jen and I are in trouble.Double Cuteness Trouble!
    I originally wanted to post one of the many videos we took of ourselves dancing, laughing and just being us. But I am pretty sure my sisters would have made me take it off within a few minutes. But to imagine, there may have been a little "Baby Got Back" played as well as "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" and we may or may not have used wine bottles and baby bottles as microphones:) As always, we had the best time together all weekend long. I hope you enjoy these Houma weekend recipes. 
Jalapeno Corn Casserole

4 (15oz) cans whole kernal corn, drained
1/2 cup butter
1 (8oz) pkg cream cheese, softened
1 cup can evaporated milk
4 tbls all purpose flour
4 jalapenos, seeded and chopped

Preheat oven to 400. 
Place corn evenly in bottom of a 9x13 inch dish.
In a medium saucepan, combine butter and cream cheese; cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until butter is melted and mixture is smooth. Stir in evaporated milk and flour, and continue cooking until mixture is smooth and creamy, about 5 minutes. Stir in jalapenos. Pour butter mixture over corn; mix well. Bake for 30 minutes. 


S'MORE Brownies

1 box of brownie mix
10 whole graham cracker squares, broken into pieces (broken, no smashed!!)
1 bag miniature marshmallows
1 cup milk chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350. 
Grease 13x9 inch pan. Mix brownie mix according to directions on package. Pour into pan and bake 18 minutes.
Remove from oven and sprinkle with graham cracker pieces, pressing down lightly. Sprinkle evenly with marshmallows and chocolate chips util graham cracker layer cannot be see. Return to oven and continue baking 12 minutes. Let cool before cutting.





Pin It Now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment