Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Celebrate Dads with Homemade Twix Bars

This weekend we took a little road trip to Louisiana to celebrate our dads and a dear friend's baby shower. No one told us that taking a teething baby along for the ride would be eventful to say the least. I seriously rocked the car seat back and forth for two hours while our dog ran all over the car. We were exhausted by the time we made it. Add to the fact that I locked our baby in the car the next morning before the baby shower and we had to have Pop A Lock service come unlock the doors. This really made for a fabulous trip...mom of the year!!!

Here are the Welch men and Welch girls (including Garcia) all dressed up in camo. Now, I am not a big fan of camo but my mom insisted she have a camo outfit to fit in with the hunters in the family so here she is...decked out in her camo for a picture. So we have 3 generations of Welchs here in honor of Father's Day and a pup too.

Loving on her Paw Paw

The Boosky and her daddy...she adores him.

We had wonderful moments and we spent sweet time with our families, especially our dads! The weekend stayed very busy and we never stopped. We wish we could have made more visits to other family members but this was one of those weekends that being from the same hometown was a blessing and curse. We had something planned for every second of our trip between our two families. But Jason's sweet momma had a lot of his family come and celebrate at their pool as well as my sister and her precious babies. This helped us see many loved ones in one place. It was fabulous and I felt like I was on vacation with all the extra hands that were busy spoiling CC. There were actual times when I was floating around the pool that I had to remind myself that my baby was somewhere and I should probably check on her. Is that bad to admit? Oh well. Note to new mommas, when someone offers to help with the baby, you take it! Especially if it gives you a chance to swim uninterrupted because never again will you just jet off to the pool all carefree while a baby is near. You will pack everything but the kitchen sink and by the time you make it, you swim for about 30 mins or an hour max before it is time for a nap. True story. But the cute little leg rolls stuffed into her swimsuit and her cooes and smiles as you float her around the pool are all worth it. Promise.

CC, my dad and I on Father's Day. He had just had hip replacement surgery and was still in recovery in this picture.

So I wanted to add a sweet to the pool party celebration so I got right to work after putting Collins to sleep on Friday night...a mom's work is never done, right? But this time I had my sweet mother in law to help me in the kitchen and I gladly took her help! Again, when your sweet mother in law offers to help you cook at 9:00 at night after you just drove 4 hours with a teething little angel and spastic dog, take it! Who cares if I wanted to be Giada DeLaurentis secretly...she probably would have taken the help too.

So we made this fabulous dessert called Homemade Kit Kat Bars. Besides gummi bears, kit kat bars are my favorite so I was sold on this recipe. Now, you may have noticed that the title is Homemade Twix Bars and you are right. I changed the title myself. I feel this dessert is way more like Twix bars so I am going with a new name. But Kit Kat bar or Twix Bar...these bars are stinking good. Get ready, you will want to keep eating them.

Homemade Twix Bars

1 box of club crackers (you will not use them all so you can munch along the way!)

1 cup butter

2 cups graham cracker crumbs

1 cup firmly packed brown sugar

1/2 cup whole milk

2/3 cup creamy peanut butter

1/2 cup semisweet chocolate morsels

1/2 cup butterscotch morsels

Line an ungreased 13x9 inch baking pan with 1 layer of crackers. You may have to cut a few to fit in the small holes; set aside. In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add cracker crumbs, brown sugar, milk, and sugar. Bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Do not boil any longer because the mixture will get clumpy and you need it more on the runny side so it will be easy to pour. Remove from heat, and pour half of the butter mixture over the crackers. Place another layer of crackers evenly over the butter mixture layer. Top evenly with another layer of crackers.

In a small saucepan, combine peanut butter, chocolate and butterscotch. Melt over medium low heat, careful not to burn. Stir consistently. Spread over top of crackers. Cover and chill for at least one hour. Cut into bars and store in refrigerator. Great news is that you can make these little gems ahead of time like I did. Mommas love make ahead things so this is perfect when I feel my inner Julia Child wanting to cook.

I got this recipe from a magazine many years ago. Just letting you all (whoever you may be) know that I did not make this recipe up on my own, nor do I make up any of these recipes. I LOVE to cook but I am not that crafty. But I do like to add my own pizazz, like a new name in this case:) This is for you Mamou! I love you!

Pin It Now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment